Examples of thermoplastics include:
• ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene)
• ASA (Acrylonitrile styrene acrylate)
• Polyamide (PA6, PA66)
Application examples of Thermoplastics material include:
Amorphous Polymer Examples
• ABS (ABSCOM® ABS Plastic) polymer applications: automotive, leisure and hygiene sectors. ABS polymer compounds can be separated by the following applications:
- ‘Easy Flow‘ – ABS polymer grades that have a much higher ‘melt flow’ such as our ABSCOM® F350 and ABSCOM® S105.
- ‘High Impact‘ – ABS material grades with a high notched impact of around 25 kJ/m2. To put this impact strength into perspective, an effect of 40 kJ/m2 and above are super strong and can withstand a car crash.
- ‘High Heat‘ – ABS polymer grades are materials best suited to applications required to sustain a high level of heat, such as the Automotive paint drying process. Grades include ABSCOM® T4100 and ABSCOM® T4060. For further reading on Hi-Heat ABS, read ours in-depth article about ABSCOM® T4060, which also provides information about ABSCOM® T4100.
- ‘Flame Retardant’ – ABS plastic grades such as our ABSCOM® FR1000 are designed to meet the strict UL V0 specification. Meaning
ABSCOM® offers a wide range of automotive, leisure and hygiene applications for the ABS polymer compounds market. Our products are designed to meet the needs of our customers in each sector. We work hard to develop new and innovative products that improve performance while reducing environmental impact. Have you tried using ABSCOM® products in your business? Let us know how they worked for you.
• ASA (ASACOM™ ASA Plastic) polymer applications: primarily used for outdoor weather intensive applications; this polymer would be an excellent choice for garden equipment or exterior finishers on a car.
• PC-COM™ (Polycarbonate) applications include lighting housings in either the automotive sector or general interior lighting systems.
• PC-ABSCOM™ PC ABS Plastic (PC/ABS) polymer applications include anything whereby the impact of ABS is just not high enough, or a much higher softening point is required. A good example would be automotive interior parts such as dashboards that need to withstand a high impact crash or high heat during the painting process.
• PC-ASACOM™ (PC/ASA) polymer applications: include autonomous outdoor hardware such as robots that require more impact resistance where PC/ABS cannot function correctly. PC/ABS material has a more robust impact capability but does not have the outdoor weathering ability, making it unsuitable.
• ABSCOM® FR1000 (FR/ABS) flame retardant polymer applications: Washing machines, boilers, and anything electrical. In situations where FR PC/ABS material is not required or may be deemed overkill, most notably in cases where polymer flame retardancy is a priority.
Semi Crystalline Polymer Examples
• Polypropylene applications include large volume parts such as car bumpers, torque indicators on lorry wheels or parts that need manufacturing with a low budget in mind. Polypropylene materials are in 3D print applications due to their cost efficiencies.
• Polyamide applications include: structural parts such as car engine bay clips or seat belt holders.
• Polyester applications: automotive fastenings, windscreen wipers and other industrial applications.
You can find more information about our thermoplastics here; each product category contains information about different thermoplastic polymer types and their applications—also all the available processing conditions for each material.